Magic Works In Mysterious Ways
I don’t often reprint other writers’ material in this forum, but when this came across my screen not long ago I was struck by its simple message about the surprising ways that magic can appear in our lives.
Being one who never gets enough of that sort of thing (magic, I mean), I thought I would pass it along for anyone else who is open to and appreciatative of its always surprising appearance. This is excerpted from the REAL MAGICK: Real Solutions for Real People newsletter published by the Esoteric School of Shamanism and Magic (www.shamanschool.com).
“A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes.” — Mark Twain
One of the things I love most about magic is the many and varied ways it shows up in our lives. Many times when I ask for magical help, I am surprised at the ways it shows up in my life. I also realize that many people miss the signs of magic in their lives because they don’t know what to look for. In other words, magic is constantly sending messages to us, but we often overlook these signs and symbols.
To remind myself of these signs and symbols, as well as to help other who are looking for help from magic, I’ve compiled a list of the various ways magic has come into my life over the years. This is just a short excerpt, and I hope this helps to open your senses to the many ways magic is speaking to you . . .
- A sentence in a book that I opened to a random page
- A check in the mail
- A conversation I overheard between two strangers
- A raven flying overhead, squawking a message to me
- The moral of a movie coinciding with a request for magical help
- A business phone call from a stranger, who turns out to be reading the same spiritual book as me
- Life-threatening surgery that forever changed my perspective on life
- Watching the amazing transformation in a child’s behavior in 10 days
- A long-time friend leaving my life, opening a new space for …?
- A dream just before awakening
- Runes cast at just the right time, showing me the way
- Feeling the brush of angel wings while at a rest stop after an extremely long drive
- The reincarnation of my dog, who lived two lifetimes with me
- A nasty note from an anonymous person saying, “Learn how to park, idiot!”
- The planting and cultivation of my garden each year
- A call out of the blue from a long-lost friend
- Finding exactly what I want in a thrift store
- Getting what I want
- Not getting what I want
- Realizing that a negative influence in my life was gone … and that I hadn’t even noticed its absence for months
- Rain arriving on a parched summer day
- A fender-bender that led to a successful business relationship
- Sitting with a wish for the longing to cease … and having it cease
- Feeling the joy of not expressing dislike
- A misdirected email in my inbox, telling me just what I need to know
- Feeling lonely and realizing I asked for sacred space
- Having a conversation in which no one understood a word I said
As the author points out, many of these messages have meaning only for her and probably don’t make sense to you. That’s the whole point of this list. Magic always speaks to us in very personal ways — ways that only make sense to us and have no meaning for anyone else.
As this list also demonstrates, magic sometimes speaks to us through contrast — through events that we would normally perceive as negative. Our job is to question events that appear negative on the surface, and see whether the event answers some request we have made for help.